Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blog Assignment #6

people figures in a circle around the world to symbolize networked students


The Networked Student

When I watched this video it really made me realize how technology is still somewhat foreign to me. There are so many tools out there in the world of technology that help us to learn. In this video it talked about a particular students PLN and how he had one topic that he researched and found all different types of on. This video also helped me to further understand exactly what a PLN is and how to go about creating one. The student found a lot of information about his topic that eventually leads him to create a blog with his informed opinions on the subject matter. He also notes that it is important to interact with people and comment on things that you research.
I do not feel like I am completely prepared to be a teacher of a networked student because I am still learning about how to become networked myself. I feel like the journey through this class is slowly preparing me. I am much more technology literate now that I was when I began this class.
The question posed in this video is "why does the networked student even need a teacher?" The teacher helps the student to become networked by teaching them about PLNs and how to create one. The teacher also helps students to distinguish between good and bad sources of information, and insures that they know how to take advantage of different kinds of learning opportunities. The teacher is the guide to help students learn and the teacher should continue to learn along with the students. I took a look at Ms. Drexler's blog and read her post about implementing her networked student model into a middle school science classroom, I think that is a great idea and I hope I am prepared enough one day to help my students to become networked!

A 7th Graders Personal Learning Environment
I think this student did a wonderful job creating her PLE for her science class. I think it is awesome how she can navigate though the internet and record all the resources she finds in one location. Her PLE is similar to mine because we both have a topic that we are researching and wanting to learn more about. They are also similar because we both have social networking sites connected to our PLN. Our PLNs are different because mine is centered around creativity in the classroom and hers is about science. Watching this video has inspired me to spend more time everyday working on developing my PLN.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Stephanie, I can definitely understand about what you said about not being ready to teach a networked student. I actually completely agree with you because I am not ready myself. We as teachers always got to be ready to teach anything and research ahead of time. I am glad to see that you have such a creative network, because until this class this network idea was foreign to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I feel like the journey through this class is slowly preparing me. I am much more technology literate now that I was when I began this class." Great!

    Glad to see that EDM310 is having an impact.

    ReplyDelete